The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Friday, January 09, 2009

On October 26, 2008, I added the book The Spelendor of Silence: A Novel to my Goodreads "currently reading" bookshelf.* I do believe I took it with me when I went to New Jersey for the Family Promise conference as a book I could read while waiting at the airport, etc. I found the book in my room, and I vaguely remember someone loaning it to me, telling me that I should read the book. Needing some book to take with me to New Jersey, I grabbed that and went.

All along I have not enjoyed reading the book. At one point, I consciously compared the number of pages read (200) to the number of pages total (399) and remember sighing, thinking to myself, "Will I ever finish this book?" It kills me not to finish a book I have started reading. Even if it's a bad book, I see it through. In December, I showed up to work a shift at the hospital and another chaplain working there was surprised that I was still reading the book. "I hate it," I told him. He laughed and laughed at me and told me that if I hated it, that I should just stop reading it. I thought about it at the time, but then decided that, no, I'd see it through. That very day, as I was reading at lunch, a major plot point developed. My reaction: "eh." Too little, too late.

Yesterday, I worked at the other hospital and was surprised to see my book there, waiting for me when I went it. I thought it was in my car. It struck me that it was fairly significant that I had no knowledge of the real whereabouts of the book for at least the last three weeks...and that I didn't care.

This book has really stopped my desire to read. Last night I realized that there are so many things that I'm interested in reading, so many that sometimes I get overwhelmed, wondering if I'd ever have time to read them. If that is the case, why am I concerning myself with reading this book? I've decided to give it up--265 pages in. The question is, what will I read now?

The Weekend
Today I will do some freelance design, get a haircut, buy some tickets for a trip to Disneyland next week, and then hang out with Gavin in the PM...hopefully I'll also decrease the number of emails I have in my inbox (it's problematic again). Tomorrow I will go to see the play Barefoot in the Park with Gavin and his family at the Glendale Centre Theatre. Sunday I have a church meeting to go to.

* By the way, for those not on Goodreads, you should be! You can keep track of what you read, rate things, write reviews, and you can connect with other people. I really do love the site and think you will, too. Sign up! Be my friend!

- Jenny, 1/09/2009 08:17:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com