The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Late post tonight. Today was a good day. I woke up pretty tired, but got to work anyway. I worked and worked and worked and still had about a bazillion emails in my box from my boss. That sounds lousy, but it's actually good for me because it means that I don't have to wait for her to give me more instruction, which has been a problem lately. Around 10:30 a.m., my Aunt Sally came over. Aunt Sally lives in San Diego and although I saw her last week at Thanksgiving, she had to come up to the area for a meeting, and it was fun to spend time with her. She took Joey and I to the Granville and we had many delicious things because her work was paying for it. This means that we shared sweet potato fries, I had a cup of soup, a salad and an iced tea. It doesn't sound too outlandish, but the Granville gets very pricey very quickly. The bill alone ended up being about $19/person for lunch. So, thank you Aunt Sally's work. Then I returned home and continued working. While working, I listened to the latest Selected Shorts podcast and found the stories this week to be great, especially the first one because it was SO humorous. Then, work was over so what I did was clean the house! This does not sound great, but for me it was especially great because I had a few hours to spare before having to play tennis tonight. The house has been a complete mess lately (especially because I'm not around a lot because I spend a lot of time with Gavin), so now the living room is clean and swept (except that there's a big dust pile--think baseball cap-sized--that I can't get rid of because I can't find the dustpan). I am hoping it stays this way at least for a couple of days. Then, I played tennis tonight with Colander. We haven't been playing regularly and, consequently, I can tell I'm WAY out of shape. We played only two sets and, even though I am out of shape and might as well give up tennis completely, the final score was 6-1, 6-1, which means that I won two whole games. Then I returned home and started responding to a couple of Facebook emails--I am backlogged there, too. All in all, I feel I accomplished a lot today! (And am so excited to be able to sleep!)

Part of what happened today was that a family who had participated in Family Promise in Phoenix called because they were hoping to be able to be in the network here. I felt so badly telling them that we're still at least a year out before we can start. I gave him some information about other organizations I've heard of, and I hope that one of them works for his family. On the other hand, it was really encouraging to talk with someone who has actually gone through the Family Promise program AND who raves about it, talking about how it is hands-down the best thing that their family has done, as compared to six or so other types of programs. So I found that encouraging.

The other day I stumbled upon a website called The Advent Door, which offers theological meditations and art based on the scripture readings for the Sundays of Advent. I like it, but I'm behind!

I bought some fantastic tangerines from the Burbank Farmers' Market this past Saturday. Fantastic. I cannot neglect going this Saturday because I have run out of tangerines and the supermarket ones are disgusting. I also tried a new fruit called a pineapple guava. It was good. Not great, but good. Anyone ever heard of that?

Can I say again how awesome it is to have a clean house?

OH, FYI to those in the Burbank area who read this blog and have small children. My church is putting on this thing called Bethlehem Village this Friday and Saturday (6-8 pm), which basically turns our parking lot into first century Bethlehem. Every half hour there will be a live Nativity scene, then inbetween those times you can go to various booths and get a free ornament or snack or other things like that. It's all free. I went last year for the first time and was sincerely impressed with how well the church pulled it off (I thought it'd totally be hokey). If you have interest in going, go. Gavin and I plan on being there on Saturday night.

Tomorrow I work at the hospital all day and then have my Family Promise meeting. Right now it sounds like a LONG day, but I'm sure it'll be ok. Hopefully my absence from the house won't inspire the others who live with me to go crazy and mess it all up again.

- Jenny, 12/03/2008 10:38:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com