The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Today has been a kind of lazy day, even though it's a work day. I woke up around 7:15-ish and had no work to do because my boss was absent from work yesterday and I finished all of my work then. So, since she doesn't come in until about 9:15 a.m., I decided to go vote around 8-8:30 a.m.

My polling place was just three longish blocks over and a block or two up, so I decided to walk over, knowing I didn't necessarily have to hurry. I did, however, consider driving so that I could also get a Krispy Kreme donut and go to the store. In the end, I decided that I didn't need a donut (I actually don't even like donuts--it was the promise of sprinkles that captured my attention) and decided that I'd go to the store later in the afternoon. Well, as I approached the polling place, I noticed a line of at least 30 people waiting to vote. I did not get excited about waiting in line. I considered walking back home and coming back later, perhaps with my brother, but in the end I decided that if I was already here and if I had nothing to do at home, I might as well vote. As I stood in line, however, I realized that I stepped in dog poop on my walk. Fun times. One benefit of standing in line--I ran into this woman I knew from church, but hadn't seen in a few years. That was nice.

So, I voted. Along with supposedly record numbers in LA County. I heard a news-flash mid-day that said that by noon 38% of Angelenos had already voted AND that 14% of the voters turned in absentee ballots, so that makes 52%, by noon, which indicates that this will be a record turnout, which is kind of exciting. However, my mind has turned today to the electoral college and realizing that I don't really understand what that's all about and that it seems like it might be the slightest bit unfair for states like mine that are solidly colored. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding it all.

Tonight Gavin will come over and I will make this pasta dish for us and Joey and Carrie. Then we will get free ice cream at Ben & Jerry's. I sure do hope I don't miss the window of opportunity with that one. I love ice cream when it's cold, so it's great that it's been colder these past few days.

- Jenny, 11/04/2008 03:50:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com