The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Monday, July 21, 2008

So Gavin left for a week's vacation in Oregon on Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m. and I've missed him incredibly since Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. I would like him to never, ever leave again.

This weekend was good and bad. Friday night after work I went with Gavin to meet up with his college friend Jeff and his wife, Jessie. We met up in Little Tokyo and had ramen. This was my first time ever meeting Jeff & Jessie and my first time ever eating ramen, other than Cup of Noodles (which I love). Needless to say, I was fairly nervous about the whole ordeal. The ramen ended up being better than I expected, but kind of awkward to eat with strangers. Jeff and Jessie were nice, but I'm afraid I did not do enough talking...I can get too shy around people that I'm meeting for the first time. Jessie is a pharmacist but does semi-professional photography on the side, so Gavin asked if she would take pictures of the two of us for his office. So, we ventured out and took pictures at the City Hall and at the Disney Music Hall. First of all, let me just say that not only does Gavin enjoy taking pictures, but he really enjoys being IN pictures. He is such a camera hog. Secondly, let me just say that I don't really enjoy being in pictures too much, but I do it to humor Gavin. I imagine that those of you who're married and have had wedding and engagement photos are used to this bit, but to me it's incredibly awkward to have someone telling you how you should pose and what sort of look you should be giving the other person, etc. At one point Jessie had us pose against one wall and then told me, "Ok, Jenny, now start making out with Gavin." I just could not make out with him in front of his friends. Too weird for me.

Friday night after the early dinner/photo session, Gavin and I went back to his apartment and watched Persepolis, which I am not done with yet (still have 20 minutes because Gavin needed to get some sleep for his trip in the AM), but really, really liked. The story line is interesting, but what is more interesting is animation of the movie. I would even say that it's brilliant.

Saturday, after dropping Gavin off at the airport, I went out to breakfast with a friend and also went to the farmer's market and picked up a 1/4 lb. of my new favorite lettuce: baby arugula. I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious this lettuce is. I think I love it so because of its strong, nutty flavor. Then, late Saturday afternoon Joey, Carrie and myself drove down to Anaheim to go to the train show for Carrie's birthday. It turns out that a train show is, in fact, a model train show. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Some of the exhibits were really, really neat. Like having a model train set in a suitcase. And seeing all of the miniature towns. I borrowed Carrie's camera for a bit and tried to take pictures of some of the exhibits, framing them as if they were life-sized.

After the train show, we headed over to Downtown Disney for dinner. For those not in the know, Downtown Disney is like one of those new-fangled outdoor malls that hosts a lot of restaurants in a trendy space. I like to call them restaurant malls. We ended up going to the Rainforest Cafe, where Carrie had a good meal, but Joey's and my food was mediocre at best. I think for what the Rainforest Cafe adds in terms of atmosphere lacks in terms of food quality. But it was a very fun time, except that I wished that Gavin could have been there with us.

Sunday, I went to church and then spent the afternoon at home, cleaning and doing various tasks, both on the computer and around the house. Sunday late afternoon we had a softball game that did not go well. What went worse was a huge argument my brother and I got into after the game. I tell you, being manager of a softball team creates WAY more drama and stress in my life than is necessary. Then I talked on the phone with Tracey, which was a great surprise, and with my Grandpa Jack, who I realized that I really missed, since he's almost 91 and doesn't leave his home in the Palm Springs area anymore. I am thinking that this fall, once it cools down in the deserts of Palm Springs and Phoenix, that I should make an effort to visit both sets of my grandparents. It is important. Then, after dinner, I managed to talk on the phone with Gavin, who is having fun on his vacation with family in Oregon.

Which brings us now up to present. I haven't had a lot of actual design work to do at work, so I've been researching websites of the space we want to be in, which is car insurance. I have gone through 34 different insurers, making notes about their design and their quote process. It has been so much fun.

- Jenny, 7/21/2008 08:20:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com