The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Monday, May 12, 2008

This weekend was busy.

Friday I picked Gavin up from work (FYI, it is a difficult feat to pick someone up in downtown LA) and we drove down to San Diego for my friend Amberle's graduation/pinning from Point Loma Nazarene University. She was graduating on Saturday morning, having completed her BS in Nursing but there was a special pinning ceremony for the nurses on Friday afternoon to be pinned, so Gavin and I went to see that happen. It was a really cool service. Similar to a graduation, yet smaller, and the way the school arranged it allowed for each student to have a personal statement (about a paragraph's length) read and pictures displayed via PowerPoint while each one was being pinned. So it was a lot more interesting than an average graduation.

After the pinning ceremony, we took advantage of being in San Diego and went to my aunt Sally's for dinner. This was the first time Aunt Sally, Uncle Roger and their little girls, Keana & Leila, met Gavin. All went well and it was a nice night, but a late one. We didn't end up leaving San Diego until after 9p, so we didn't get back until 11-ish. The next morning we drove up to Ojai to hang out with Gavin's parents and sister Kendra for the rest of the weekend, but I was kinda miserable because I couldn't fall asleep until after 3a (and I think I got up around 8a). Fortunately it was fairly chill--eating, playing some board games and general hanging out (I'm sure at some point Gavin will have pictures up), but I was tired. I ended up taking a nap in the mid-afternoon and that helped me to feel much better. Then we had dinner, played more games and then Gavin and I watched an episode of Heroes Season 2 on Netflix. (An aside: it's neat that you can watch it directly off of their website...too bad the second season is nowhere as good as the first...I'm just getting confused trying to keep the timeline in mind, as well as figuring out the overall point of the series.)

Sunday Gavin and I took a walk with Gavin's mom Bonnie into town and went to the Ojai Farmers' Market, which was fun for me because I love going to farmers' markets. Then we came back and had a late breakfast. This included Gavin and I playing several rounds of Fluxx. Fluxx is a card game where the rules continually change as you play. We have played many times before and Gavin magically wins every time (read: he cheats, in my opinion); I can count the number of times I've won on one hand. Anyway, we were playing it on Sunday morning (after I won on Saturday night) and he won time after time, taking a victory dance around the kitchen with each win. Quite a humble man. So the one time I win the game on Sunday morning, Gavin insisted I take a victory lap and, while he was "showing" me how to take a victory lap, he hit his foot pretty hard on an open cabinet. Gavin's dad and I claim that shows why one should be humble, but Gavin seems to think that the lesson to be learned was not that but, instead, to be more careful when taking a victory lap.

Sunday afternoon we just hung out. I helped Kendra out with her Mac. Gavin and his mom took passport photos. Then Gavin, Kendra and I went over to their friends' house and played Rock Band for quite awhile. Instead of playing my classic vocals, I gave the bass a try for awhile. Doing so reminded me further that I have absolutely no rhythm. At the end I did the vocals for awhile and even scored 100% (on Medium) for Dani, California and Wonderwall, which beats my previous record of Black Sabbath's Paranoid at 99%. We finished off the night with pizza and salad back at Gavin's parents' house.

Got home from Ojai at around 11 or 11:30p on Sunday night and found my inbox full of email. Answered a few and then went to bed, only to wake up a few hours later at 6:30a in order to go and substitute teach for the 6th graders today. This is what I look like when I try to discipline the students. Maybe that's why they keep on talking. I helped one of the students with his persuasive essay on why there should be less homework at school. One of my favorite parts of his essay is as follows (edits not included):
The homework at New Heights can be very stressful. When I'm stressed I become forgetful. With a lot of complicated homework it’s easy to get stressed, which makes it a lot easier to forget. Stress can make you make mountains out of moull hills. For example if a kid didn’t pass on a test so he breaks his binder. Last but not least stress can kill you early.
A little dramatic.

And now it's already midnight and I need to get up at 6:30a again tomorrow to sub for the 6th graders again. Most of them seem to tolerate (or even like me), except for the two who I regularly discipline because they are constant talkers. The mere sound of those two talking is akin to shredding my eyeballs. However before I go to bed I want to try out these yoga poses that I found in a yoga magazine found at Gavin's parents' house that are intended to help sore backs. My lower back has been sore lately and I am hoping yoga will help me strengthen it and help the pain to subside.

I'd just like to say that I love this quote and my dad and I quote it to each other quite often (often in reference to Carrie & Joey). We've also been quoting the bit lately where he says "You're... you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy."

My friend Karen is having a baby (she finds out the sex tomorrow, if all goes well!) and lately I've been playing with this site (rediscovered by me from a few years before) and I just think it's so cool.

- Jenny, 5/12/2008 11:01:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com