The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Thursday, March 06, 2008

Tonight I went to a meeting at my church that involved members of the faith community within Burbank to hear about possibly starting up an Interfaith Hospitality Network/Family Promise. I suggested this program/organization a few years ago after I had started at Princeton and heard that my church back home had been wanting to do something about the homeless other than the previous program they were participating in because they felt that it wasn't working. So, it's really cool to me that a few years down the line now we're looking in to start an IHN here in Southern California.

For those who are unaware, Interfaith Hospitality Network is basically a program where they work to get situationally homeless families off of the street and into permanent housing. They do it by developing a network of churches to use their facilities for a week at a time (four times a year) and the homeless families sleep at the churches and then go to a day center and work with a social worker to get back on their feet. Part of the statistics Family Promise shares is that last year alone they helped 25,000 homeless people to find permanent or transitional housing, and that 60% of that 25,000 was children.

I'll be stoked if one of these starts up in the Burbank area.

I probably would have more to say if I only had time to think about it, but I've got to close shop and go care after the dog.

- Jenny, 3/06/2008 10:37:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com