The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Late Tuesday night update:
(I wrote a new blog below, too, if you have interest, or don't want to read about tennis & cannibalism, which is essentially all this post is about)

Played tennis outside tonight. I looked at my car's thermometer when we stopped playing - 46 degrees outside. Colander was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and shorts, but that's ok because he terms himself the human furnace (if his present job does not pan out, he should consider going out for the circus with a talent like that!) I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and pants. No wonder why at first my toes were frozen (eventually they thawed after about a half hour of playing) and, later on, I felt like my fingers on my left hand might fall off. The thumb on my right hand also was in danger. In general my hands run cold (I like to think cold hands equals warm heart, but that is neither here nor there), but this time the coldness of my hands was ridiculous. I am almost positive that I was one step away from my skin turning black, leaving medical professionals no choice but to cut off my limbs.

This started me thinking about this movie I saw once when I was younger. It may have been a made-for-TV movie about these people getting stuck in a killer snowstorm on the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Eventually some people died and they had to eat those people and, even now, it's enough to make me never ever want to visit the Aleutian Islands in case that ever happens to me (not even a visit during the summer, even with global warming). I'm not sure what that movie's called or how old I was when I watched it, but I'm positive it's not that movie Alive. I think I did not see Alive because of the fear of cannibalism in the frozen tundra that was instilled in me due to this Alaskan movie. My recollection is hazy, but I do believe it was even based on a true story.

Anyway, this was enough to keep my thoughts occupied for most of set #1 tonight. I think that ended up being good for my game because, even though the set score of 6-0 doesn't indicate it, I played very well that first set. My shots were thought out (I had some great winners!), my serves good, and I think every game went to at least 30-40, if we didn't make it to deuce. One game we even went to 4th deuce, which is pretty significant because it shows my resiliency. (Although, to be fair, it ultimately shows Chris' superior resiliency.)

Now all the while during this first set, the sticks were holding the net up. I'm not sure what the sticks are called, but they're basically two black sticks on either side of the net that hold up the net to a certain height in the doubles alleys. (You can see what I mean if you examine this picture against this picture.) After the first set ended, Chris (aka Colander) wanted to put the sticks down because he felt that the center part of the net was not adjusted properly for the sticks to be up (it was his idea to put the sticks up in the first place). So even though I wasn't experiencing difficulty in having the sticks up, meaning that the net was potentially higher making it harder to get shots over the net, I was agreeable to take the sticks down.

Big mistake. We then played the second set and I did not do as well. I still played OK and even won two games (to Colander's six), but Colander played much, much better (probably because he was able to make more serves in). When I told him I reserved the right to blog about this, he felt the need to insist that lowering the net made us both play better, but in retrospect I kinda think it might have served me better if we had kept those sticks up. Oh well.

The third set I lost pretty easily, 6-0. I tried, but I think I was just unable to keep up the mental stamina to play through the cold.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed playing tonight, just like I really enjoyed playing last Friday. I think I might play better when I'm tired because both days I found myself really exhausted when I got home.

After tennis I had a late dinner with my dad. We went to Panda Express and my fortune read, "You will be pleasantly surprised next month." I really hope that ends up being true...there are a couple of things that I would love to be pleasantly surprised with and it would be great if they could happen next month.

- Jenny, 12/11/2007 11:18:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com