The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Thursday, December 27, 2007

An early Friday post because I'm too tired to get up from the couch to go to bed.

Here's a Christmas miracle for you to ponder and stick in your pockets for a rainy day: Tonight (Thursday), when I played COlander in tennis, I managed to break the glass ceiling, scoring: 6-2, 6-0, 6-2. This is the first time I've ever been able to win more than three games against him! The sad thing is that I was very, very unaware that I won the second game in both of the sets where I actually scored something (I like to ignore that middle set - it was quite ugly). So my new keys to doing well at tennis are to think cannibalism and reverse in my mind what the score is.

In other news, in a rare spurt of blogging, Justin posted a link to a fun travel quiz. I only made it to Level 7/12 (237,713 points) because it turns out that I missed a lot of questions of where different cities are in Canada. My motto was "When in doubt, guess east coast." Turns out that probably wasn't the best motto. How far can you get?

And here is a Christmas meme that I found on Bean's Blog:

Rules for the game include:
1. Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share Christmas facts about yourself.
3. Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Welcome to the Christmas edition of "Getting to Know Your Friends."

1. Wrapping or gift bags?
I really dislike receiving presents in gift bags. The only thing I dislike more is wrapping presents in gift bags. I really, really, really love to wrap presents and so I love it when people take the time to do it for me, too.

2. Real or artificial tree?
Real. I really dislike fake trees. This year we didn't have a tree. Sometimes we'll get them and sometimes we won't. But this year I did buy us a (real) wreath that I love and cherish every time I open and close the door because I get the waft of the evergreen smell that I love.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Um, I suppose if we get one, we'll usually get it about two weeks before Christmas.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Well, I am usually the one who takes it down, so whenever I have time. Generally within the first or second week of the New Year (I hate the work of disassembling the tree).

5. Do you like egg nog?
No, but this year I learned that I can tolerate it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I really don't remember. I think I really loved this one headband my Aunt Sally got me when I was a little girl (maybe early elementary age). I remember that it had these little "pearls" wrapped around it and it had little flowers interspersed throughout it. I used it for a long time...when it was no longer cool for me to wear it in public, I'd still use it to push my hair back when I was washing my face and stuff. It broke maybe about 5 or so years ago and I remember being kinda sad on that day.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Not really. I do have these two very little trinkets (one is the size of an egg and the other the size of a small orange) that were brought back for me from El Salvador that have the littlest version of the Nativity in them. But I don't display them.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Can't really remember a bad Christmas gift. For lack of something better to say, probably the last outfit my grandma ever bought me, before she gave up and started giving my brother, cousins and myself money (probably out of consternation of not being able to pick out an outfit we'd like).

9. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail Christmas cards. Would someone other than the staunch environmentalist prefer email Christmas cards?

10. Favorite Christmas Movie?
SO hard to choose because I love the Christmas movie genre. At the top of the list are "It's a Wonderful Life," which I just LOVE and the original Home Alone, which I also love. I also really love You've Got Mail, although it's not really a Christmas one, even though it involves Christmas. I think I really love the Christmas scenes from that movie.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Usually about two weeks or so before Christmas. I don't understand how people can do Christmas shopping months in advance.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My uncle's friend's wife makes this homemade Chex mix and gives my uncle a bag. My uncle does not like it at all, so he gives it to me and I bask in Chex mix glory.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I think I really like the peaceful look of just the white lights on the tree, preferably no twinkling. But I like the colored lights on the outside of the house - preferably the fat, old-school bulbs. But my all-time favorite is when they put candles in the window like they do on the east coast. I really loved that.

14. Favorite Christmas song?
Tough call. I love Christmas music. Favorite album is probably Charlie Brown Christmas. Favorite religious is probably God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Favorite secular is probably either All I Want for Christmas is You or Please Be Home for Christmas or Same Old Lang Syne. Favorite instrumental is probably either Carol of the Bells or the Nutcracker Suite.

15. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
I was really grateful this Christmas not to have to traverse the entire country to spend Christmas with my family. And this is why I long to live nowhere else in the country.

16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
I don't think so.

17. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star.

18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Christmas morning.

19. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
The stress that accompanies the celebration.

20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color?
No. I really dislike themes to trees. I love looking at Christmas trees where you get a sense of the history of the family when you look at the ornaments. And I love being able to place the ornaments on our tree (when we have one) and think to myself, "I remember getting that ornament here," or, "I remember making that ornament when I was in the third grade," etc. There's just something very endearing and less commercial to me about a tree that's full of mis-matched and handmade ornaments.

21. What do you leave for Santa?
Nothing.

22. Least favorite holiday song?
Maybe the Twelve Days of Christmas. Maybe Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. Maybe Jingle Bells.

23. Favorite ornament?
We have this clown made of little felt discs that I've always loved because he's real jing-jangly.

24. Family tradition?
Um....we usually have twice-baked potatoes with whatever meal we're having. Other than that, I can't really think of any particular tradition. Danny?

25. Ever been to Midnight Mass?
Well, if you mean a Catholic Midnight Mass, the answer is no, although I did consider (for a brief few minutes the day before) going to a Catholic Christmas morning mass. I have, however, been to a Presbyterian "Midnight Mass"...in fact, I went to one at my church this year and it was lovely. One of the best things I did this Christmas.

Ok, so I'm not going to tag particular people. However, if you read through the meme and found it interesting, chances are I'd find your answers interesting too, so do it and let me know about it.

- Jenny, 12/27/2007 10:56:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com