The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Monday, December 31, 2007

2007, good riddance!

I don't know if I've ever been so pleased to see a year bite the dust. 2007 has not been particularly enjoyable for me. Although there were some good moments (going to Scotland, graduating with my MDiv), much of this year has been fraught with disappointment and frustration. The greatest disappointment and frustration has not been being runner up to several jobs, nor has it been my wandering, aimless ways, nor was it being hit from behind on the freeway - no. The greatest disappointment and frustration has been finding out about a club that would be perfect for me and then finding out that I don't qualify for the local chapter.

Yes, that's right, I do not qualify to be a part of the Tall Club.

Some background: An hour or so before I left for Tracey's in November, Carrie was watching this show on the Travel Channel. It was showcasing a convention of the Tall Club in Pittsburgh, the very city I was traveling to that night. It was a sign.

So Carrie quickly googled it for me (as my computer was already packed up and ready to go) and found that the stated mission of Tall Clubs International is "to promote tall awareness among tall men and women, and in the community. To provide social activities of mutual interest, travel to cities around the U.S. and Canada for gatherings including members from several TCI clubs, run a convention each year to conduct the business of the Corporation with representatives of all clubs, and select a new Miss Tall International®, the official public representative and good will ambassador for TCI." In order to join, a man must be a minimum of 6'2" and a woman must be a minimum of 5'10". Check mark.

But then, upon further exploration of the site, the local chapter of the Tall Club International in Los Angeles, the California Tip Toppers, requires women to be a minimum of 6'0" tall (men 6'4" tall), something that I simply do not qualify for, as I am about 5'11". Bogus. If I lived in Boston, I could totally be a part of the Boston Beanstalks. Or, if I were still in New Jersey, I could certainly be a member of Central Jersey Tall Friends. But, no.

No, the California Tip Toppers have upped their limit to 6'0". Which is very bogus because I tower over a lot of people here in Los Angeles. The other day I went to go get a bagel and I was the tallest one in the crowded store, customers and workers included. So unfair. I have all of the burdens of being tall, but none of the benefits.

Anyhow, so that's why I say "Good Riddance!" to you, 2007 - the year of disappointment and frustration. I am hoping that 2008 will be nothing like you and will bring about clarity and good things.

- Jenny, 12/31/2007 10:30:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com