The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

With every day that passes, I get further and further behind in blogging. In the hopes of catching up, here are some snippets since I last blogged:

- Can't really remember what Tracey and I did on Saturday.

- Sunday I saw Tracey in action at church. She did really well, but I prefer the head pastor's Boston accent to Tracey's Northern Irish accent. I don't know what it is about Boston accents, but I just eat them up!

- Sunday evening, after driving all over the place just to find the only Panda Express in Pittsburgh, we went to a Compline service at a chapel in downtown Pittsburgh. Ann will be happy to know that it was a Lutheran service. If you're not familiar, Compline is one of the monastic prayer services that happens throughout the day. If there are monks, they usually sing through a few Psalms and prayers and stuff. There were no monks, but this beautiful choir and I found that it was just a very peaceful way to end a Sunday evening.

Monday I woke up SUPER early to make it to the airport. I was intrigued to see what plane I'd be flying on, since I looked at my itinerary and saw the following:NONJET
Apparently, from Pittsburgh to Cleveland, I'd be flying on a nonjet, whatever that is. Tracey and I were wondering if they were just going to drive me there in a minibus. Turns out that it was the smallest plane I've ever been on, a Dash 8-200, which holds a total of 36 passengers. Now, if you examine my schedule, I have a five minute window by which to land in Cleveland and board onto my flight for Los Angeles. In the future I will not do this.

See, a problem arose that the luggage outweighed the passengers on the flight, so the plane was not balanced. Pretty large problem. So they were going to stick some luggage in the cabin, but the cabin is too small for luggage, so that's another problem. Then, they decided to remove five passengers' luggage so as to make the weight-balance proper. They'd send the luggage on another flight to arrive to the destinations faster than the actual passengers. Of course the passengers whose luggage was removed were incensed. They wanted their luggage on the plane, despite the fact that they were telling us they could not fly with the plane balanced as it was. Personally, I value my life over my luggage arriving with me at a destination, so I didn't have a problem with it, but they also did not remove my luggage (probably because its weight would have been inconsequential). But in the midst of all of this, the airline also closed the flight and there was one person who had not yet arrived at the gate but, curiously, whose luggage was stowed in the plane. They ended up deciding to remove that person's luggage from the plane and put the five other pieces of luggage back into the plane. How that could have balanced the plane is beyond me.

Eventually we took off and, the combination of worrying about the balance of the plane with the fact that you can hear the plane struggling to fly since it's so small, made it such that I didn't get any sleep on that flight because I was afraid I'd die. Alas, I did not die and instead arrived in Cleveland at 8:25 a.m. in Terminal D and I had to make it to Terminal C by 8:45 a.m. in order to catch my flight to LAX. Needless to say, I was stressed out about this. So, I grabbed my backpack and carry-on luggage and booked it through Terminal D, running down the steps into this underground terminal in order to make it up to Terminal C. Fortunately, they held the plane for myself and a couple other people who were arriving late on connecting flights. I was so thankful.

I was not thankful, however, to sit in the same aisle with a 50-ish business man and this 22 year-old girl, who the business man was hitting on during the duration of the entire 4:30 plane flight. Gross. It turns out that if you're interested in seeing who this girl was, you can tune her in on the Dr. Phil show the day after Thanksgiving, as that is why she was flying out to CA. I, however, will not be taking the time to watch her as I found her supremely annoying and self-involved. Why men would even begin to be attracted to women like that is really, really beyond me.

When I landed in LA, I was surprised to see someone I recognized from Princeton (maybe graduated the year ahead of me?) wandering the airport. I didn't talk to him, as I don't think I've ever had a conversation with him and actually am not certain of his name, but it was a little strange to have had that connection in a totally random place.

I managed to stay up last night for our softball game, which we ended up winning 7-0 since the other team forfeited the game. Hurray!

Today I have random errands to accomplish. And applying for jobs. And cleaning the house. Later on tonight I'll be playing tennis again vs. Colander and I am hoping I won't be so sore this time.

- Jenny, 11/13/2007 10:41:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com