The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Thursday, October 25, 2007

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that if I were a teacher, I'd be a strict teacher. I have no real quips from subbing today, other than there's this one student I had over the summer who I just love to see now that I'm subbing at the school. He's always very friendly and says hi and today I had him in a couple of my classes. Not only does he tell the other students when they ask if I'm the sub, "Hey, I know her, she's cool, really nice and a good teacher," but he actually pays attention in class.

90% of the students today did not pay attention in class, which is just really, really frustrating. I'm sure that part of the reason why the students don't pay attention is precisely because I'm a sub and, therefore, not their boss or authority figure, so they figure they have a "break" that day. I make sure to write down for the teacher the names of the students who were both exemplary as well as those who were disruptive. I have no idea if it does anything but, although I feel like a tattletale, it just makes me feel a lot better, as if maybe someone will listen to me. But then I was thinking that the teachers probably already know which students are the good ones and which ones aren't, so maybe it's pointless.

Here's why I would probably be a strict teacher. a.) I would openly tell students that I would fail them and mean it. I am realizing that it does the student no good to just sort of let them pass so that they can be less than mediocre in another grade. b.) I would expect my students to write in complete sentences with correct spelling. Looking over some of the students' work, I am appalled with how poor not only their penmanship is, but also their inability to put together a sentence and spell all the words in that sentence correctly. c.) I think I'd make participation important and somehow would devise a scheme wherein points would be deducted from a student's grade if they were disruptive, etc. I don't know...this stuff doesn't seem very extremist or strict to me, but who knows, really.

And now, for Susan's meme:

Pick up the book nearest you and provide the following information:
Title and Author: Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs, edited by John Bowe, Barisa Bowe, and Sabin Streeter.

Is the book dedicated to anyone? If so whom? It does not appear to be dedicated to anyone, but there are acknowledgments to their loved ones, etc.

What is the first sentence? The first sentence (after the acknowledgments) is in the Introduction: "Gig got its start on our webzine, Word, as a weekly column called 'Work' that was modeled after the interviews in Studs Terkel's landmark 1972 book, Working."

Turn to page 47. Please share the first sentence of the first full paragraph. "So I was goin' to go into it."

- Jenny, 10/25/2007 04:32:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com