The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I think I am in a bad mood right now, but I'm not sure why. I did spill the salad dressing I made all over the counter/floor right before dinner, but I think I'm over that now. Oh well.

Tuesday at the hospital was crazy busy. I got there at noon and was busy non-stop until I left at 5. Here's a little flavor of the day. I started out with about an hour and a half of normal visits with a few patients, including a patient who had the following conversation with me:

Patient: I converted to Catholicism in this hospital years ago.
Me: Oh yeah?
Patient: Yeah, that's how I got to know the priest. He baptized my dogs.
Me: Wow, when you do something, you dive in head first.
Patient: Well, what is dog spelled backwards, but G-o-d?
Me: I suppose you got me there.
Patient: Dogs are very spiritual animals. In fact, I tell my dogs the story of Jesus. They know...they know where they're going.

After that interaction, which was an interesting conversation that was pleasant and mostly non-crazy, I went immediately to a meeting. Almost as immediately as I sat down for the meeting, I was paged down to a trauma where, I think, the guy came in because he fell off of something. So, I worked his situation out, contacted his family, etc. and then went back up to the meeting. Then, within 10-15 minutes of being back in the meeting, I was paged for another trauma. This one was very serious - the woman they brought in was an attempted suicide and a drug-use case. She couldn't/wouldn't communicate anything about herself (other than she wanted to pee), so for the next hour or so I was trying to work out exactly who she was and exactly who I should contact. In the midst of this, I was paged to yet another trauma, this one for a teenager who was stabbed multiple times on his thighs. He was able to communicate who I should contact and stuff, but I spent a little time with him because his case was a little messed up because it involved the teenage drama of a break-up. Then I talked to the Tijuana Consulate regarding a humanitarian Visa letter that I wrote for a patient last week. I was so tired by all of this that I took a half-hour nap when I got home.

Here's a lesson I knew, but now know even stronger after working in a hospital: Drugs will mess you up.

Today I've done mostly nothing. I slept in, which was glorious. Then I cleaned a good portion of the house and did some laundry, which was also glorious. Then I made dinner, which was Swiss steak, mashed potatoes (those were from the store) and the aforementioned grapefruit and avocado salad. No one knows why the steak is named after the Swiss. It does not have holes in it. Then I suppose some trick-or-treaters have come by, but we in this house are befuddled at how few there have been tonight. Then I went for a late-night walk. I wonder if my left big toe is broken or something...it hurts when I apply pressure to it.

It occurred to me today as I was cooking dinner that I wanted to try to see a movie earlier in the day. I was disappointed that I forgot about this. Maybe I can take a movie in sometime later on this week or in the weekend.

Tomorrow I substitute teach. And then there's also potential that I might play tennis tomorrow afternoon. Which is convenient because I played so horribly on Tuesday night (after playing so well earlier that morning) that I almost swore the entire game off for good. But I think it was partly because I was tired and partly because I was cold, so my limbs weren't moving very well. So, I've decided to give the sport another shot.

Um...I think that's all I have to say right now.

- Jenny, 10/31/2007 08:53:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com