The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I am really, really exhausted today. And whereas I am disappointed that I'm not playing tennis tonight (because the 4th in my dad's doubles match is back), I'm really glad that I'm not playing because I don't know if I have the stamina to do it. I don't know if I have the stamina even to answer the emails that came in today!

I can't remember if I already posted about this, but one of the chaplains at the hospital, my favorite chaplain at my favorite hospital, is critically ill right now, which is a huge shock not only to me, but to everyone at the hospital because it was a sudden thing that happened last week. So I've been asked to come in and work many, many days in September (including my birthday!) to help cover her units. Today was my first day back there and it was just a really intense, exhausting day. It started out with a departmental meeting regarding the Sister's status and then continued in to a service of prayer in one of her units with the staff there, then I went and compiled the information of all of the patients I had to see and visited some new moms, and then had to go to a case conference (basically a long meeting going over each patient in a given unit with each member of the hospital team), then I had lunch, then I was paged to a Code Blue, then had to go to another unit's case conference, then met with one of those patients, then was paged to go to a fetal demise, then came back and charted everything and then learned that the Sister is being transferred from the hospital where she's currently at to our hospital...sometime later on today.

It just was a lot for one day, especially as I learned more and more about what is wrong with the Sister and realized just what a really sad and scary situation it is. Then I was experiencing a bit of hypochondria in the case conferences, where we'd be talking about a patient who, say, had multiple sclerosis, then I'd be thinking to myself, "Well, maybe I have multiple sclerosis..." Or maybe I'd see a quadriplegic and think to myself, "What if I break my spine tonight?" Silly stuff like that. And I think it probably just stems from seeing the Sister get sick suddenly, making me realize how fragile life really is.

Nothing new on the job front. I suspect there won't be much happening before the holiday next Monday, but who knows. I'll keep my mind off of it, in part by taking on extra shifts at the hospital (I am working there a lot this September), but also in part in the coming days as I am going camping this weekend at McGrath State Beach with Joey, Carrie, David and Nathaniel. I've never been camping at this beach before, but I'm sure it'll be fantastic because I love camping at the beach.

- Jenny, 8/28/2007 06:07:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com