The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, July 03, 2007

This may WILL be a L-O-N-G blog. I'll try to break it up in sections.

The Wedding
Dave & Laura's wedding went wonderfully!! Ross, my pastor, mainly ran the rehearsal mostly because I wanted him to, since he has done lots before. He really ran that rehearsal like a well-oiled machine. Gave some tips and tricks and finished in a timely manner. Saturday I was mainly waiting for the wedding to come along. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice night wedding, but all day on Saturday I was waiting for it to happen. So, I read through the script a few more times aloud and generally felt really ready for the wedding come noon. When I showed up at the Sportsmen's Lodge for the ceremony about an hour early, Dave was still taking some pictures with his groomsmen. It was baking outside, but wasn't too bad in the wedding area, since it is shaded by a lot of trees. I felt totally fine for the ceremony, until I started walking up to the altar. But once I began speaking, I felt fine. And, from what I have been told, I did a good job! When I finished the ceremony, I totally wanted to do more because I found it to be kinda fun.

After the ceremony was the reception, which was very nice. It was a sit-down dinner with a choice between filet mignon and chicken piccata. I had the chicken piccata because I LOVE chicken with lemon. From what I hear, I made the better choice, as nearly everyone around me selected beef (we're a beef family) and they were sorta disappointed. But here's my feelings about beef - it's never really good when cooked en masse. It's usually overdone (I love my steak medium rare) and it usually is not as flavorful. Regardless, I hardly ate a thing, which is typical for me at a formal dinner with alcohol. We were toasting first with some delicious champagne (the first ever champagne I've ever liked!) and then I started drinking some wine and before you know it, I wasn't hungry at all.

After dinner they had some dancing. Normally I try to stay as far away from the dance floor because I'm a horrendous dancer. But I just really felt like dancing and having a fun time (perhaps the alcohol?), so I went out and danced with my aunts, uncles and cousins. I was even surprised that my dad was dragged out on the dance floor by a family friend. And, the topping of the night was that a random friend of Dave's asked me to dance, which was really nice. I will just totally ignore that he smelt of cigarette smoke, simply because it's always nice to be asked to dance. So that, in a nutshell, was the wedding.

The Memorial Service
Unlike Joey & Carrie, I didn't have another wedding to go to on Sunday, but instead had a memorial service. Bill, the husband of a friend of mine from church, Skip, died. Skip is my liaison from church with this whole Presbyterian ordinaton thing. She has been so good at keeping in touch with me all the way across the country and in helping me with whatever I need to help me along the process. Because she's been my liaison, I've gotten to know her and her husband fairly well over the last few years when I'd speak to them on the phone or come over to their house for lunch or whatever. I am so sad that Bill has passed away, but from hearing his eulogy, it seems as if he made good use of his 85 years. I was asked to read three scripture passages for his memorial service. I was nervous for this one a.) because the church was packed and b.) because it's always a bit daunting to be up front, leading something on an important day for someone else. But, just like the wedding, I didn't mess up and shouldn't have worried.

The Oil Change
My last couple of days have been full of non-stop errands. Yesterday I got my oil changed at a place in town and sat down to wait and was approached by a very attractive man who, surprisingly to me, thought I looked familiar. Turns out his name is Jack Costello and he graduated two years behind me in high school (his brother was my year). He has apparently just returned to Burbank after living up in the bay area for awhile. I vaguely remember the names of these brothers (I think there may have been a third one, too?), so was surprised that this guy who wasn't even my year remembered me. We had a really nice conversation while we were waiting for our cars to finish up and I really regret not getting his contact info. Oh well.

Anyway, what was interesting was that after I finished talking to him (his car was ready before mine), I started talking to this other guy, a stranger, who heard that I lived in NJ. He apparently went to Claremont School of Theology and has since decided to go into education and is moving to NJ with his wife next year. It was cool to talk to the guy. Both conversations kinda reminded me about how even though Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US, Burbank has a really small-town feel. You just run into people you used to know in some capacity and sometimes you have random conversations with strangers. I like that.

The iPod
My iPod is ridiculous. I think it has been broken since I first got it. I'm having troubles uploading songs onto it and it's a mystery why this is happening, despite my repeated efforts to start from scratch. I think the long and short of it is that I'll have to take it to the Apple Store and either return it or get one of their "geniuses" to show me how to not get the same aggravating error message.

Going to the Apple Store to get something fixed is just about as bad as going to the DMV to get anything done. Thankfully (note sarcasm), I also just got a letter in the mail from the DMV saying I have to go in for my license renewal. So I'm thinking I'll make it a double-whammy and hit the Apple Store and DMV in the same day, making me only have to struggle on one day for the will to live as it is slowly sucked out of me in those two places.

The Mound of Laundry
I have not done laundry for at least three weeks now. I just hate doing laundry and ever more so when I have piles and piles of it to do.

The Muscle Strain
It goes in and out of feeling OK to feeling miserable. I put some heat on it because PChan, from my team, told me that's what you're supposed to do. Then I looked it up this morning and it turns out I should have put ice on it. However, the muscle feels better after it's had some heat applied to it, so I'm going to trust that all is OK, especially because overall I am feeling better AND can now lift my leg without massive amounts of pain.

The Ice Cream Maker
Cherries were on sale yesterday when I went to the market, so I'm thinking of making cherry ice cream sometime this week. Maybe I'll make it tonight and then pair it with a blue ice cream cone and serve patriotic ice cream tomorrow for Independence Day. Not quite sure where I'll get blue ice cream cones, but I have a little more time to figure that one out.

The Job Search
Nothing much to note, except that July will be filled with tons of random jobs. I'll be working a little at the hospital, I'll be doing some work with my church's youth group, I'll be doing some side graphic design, and now, the latest, is that Tyler's sister Tiffany needs me to teach a two-week long graphic/web design class to kids from 6th to 12th grade. I find out more about it on Thursday, but I'm kinda excited. I've never done something like this before and, whereas it's a bit daunting to think about how to go about teaching a group of students about how to design web stuff, it's different. Even though I wish I already had everything figured out re: my life, I definitely think it's neat to have such a flexible schedule and to do a little bit of a lot of things.

Well, I suppose that's all for now. Gotta get back to the laundry, as it were...

- Jenny, 7/03/2007 07:10:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com