The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Being a trauma hospital, we have this helicopter pad (helipad?). Helicopters are awesome. It's fun to be outside when the helicopter is there, especially when the helicopter lifts off and there's this huge rush of air. Well yesterday I was in this patient's room on the fourth floor. The patient and her husband were talking to me about her tenuous health condition and how her young son (in his 20s) died over the weekend. I was actually really in to talking to them and hearing their story when all of a sudden, I see this helicopter fly in a trauma at the hospital. Since I was the only one facing the window, I was the only one who saw it, and it was all I could do to not exclaim, "Look! Isn't the helicopter awesome?!" Fortunately due to my training and experience, I maintained my cool composure (that was warm and welcoming) and asked them to tell me more about how special their son was. Rule #1 about being a chaplain: focus.

Tonight when I was at the hospital I realized how much trouble LA is in with gang activity and shootings and what-not. Thinking of the traumas that came in today and yesterday and looking at the ICU census, we have had no less than 5 gun shot wounds that have come in since Monday. And we're just a hospital in the Valley...who knows what sort of activity is coming in to the hospitals located in the heart of LA. It is a huge problem, and it's tragic to see the consequences that arise from this activity.

Other than that, I feel like I have no non-hospital related news because I feel like I've been spending all my waking hours there lately, with this weird shift. For whatever reason, working from 12 to 8 is exhausting, whereas I never had any issues working from 8-4. I'll be excited next week when I only have to work two shifts!

- Jenny, 6/20/2007 08:35:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com