The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Sunday, March 18, 2007

Well, it’s Saturday afternoon and I’m still in Glasgow. I’m sitting in a hotel room, watching the amazingly dull British television system (which, admittedly, is not much more dull than our American television system)…right now I’m watching some Australian Princess show. It is about as interesting as it sounds. I don’t know anything about rugby, but watching that may be a better option for me, since at least I enjoy watching sports (and maybe I can learn a thing or two about the game), whereas reality crap like the Australian Princess show bores me.

To catch you up, Friday I woke up and went to the jail with my newfound friend from Minnesota, Jaime. The jail was interesting, but not as interesting as I had hoped. We were on a guided tour with this group of teenagers. They talked with strong guttural intonations, so I figured they were from Glasgow, but was surprised to find out when I asked that they were from Sweden (and, thus, the reason why they sounded like they were speaking another language was because they were speaking another language).

I considered touring the castle after the jail but then decided that I wasn’t really interested, so I headed back to Café Nero and did a little business over email and then decided to head back to Glasgow. On the way to the train I decided to pick up a pastie for lunch. I figured it’d taste like the delicious patties I had in Jamaica. While it was the same sort of concept, eating the pastie pretty much made me gag. It was so gross. Thank goodness I had some of the bubble gummy goodness of Irn Bru to remove the taste from my mouth.

Once in Glasgow, I wrote some postcards and walked around the city centre a little and then went to the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art, which was fairly lousy. There was only one interesting exhibit that was about Jamaica. There was not much to it, really, but there was a fairly incoherent video of these Jamaicans signing that actually made me a little wistful for Jamaica...probably because of the scenery. Sometimes I don’t know quite what to think about my time in Jamaica. Anyhow, the rest of the art in the GOMA was not interesting at all.

Around 3 or 4 I decided I should probably make my way to the bus and go back to Cumnock so that I could meet up with Josh, Noah and Tony, so I went to the bus station and ended up getting the very last seat in the very last row of one of those accordion buses. It was both fortunate because I didn’t have to wait in the rain for the next bus, but unfortunate as I was sitting next to this twenty-something Scottish guy who was sucked into talking to this forty-something guy from Montreal who was sitting next to him. The Montreal guy was a chauvinist, sounded stupid and was completely boring. AND, if that wasn’t enough, he sounded like that Swedish chef from the Muppets and couldn’t stop talking. Thankfully, Tyler has eternally lent me his old iPod, so I tried to drown out their conversation as best I could.

When I got home, I discovered that the others were in Glasgow. I would have tried to meet up with them, but the cell phone the Scotsman lent me ran out of charge. So I dawdled on the internet until they came home. Then I packed up and went to bed.

Woke up this morning (Saturday) super early (4:15 a.m.!) in order to get ready. Noah came up to tell me that they sent him an email saying our flight was cancelled. Now the night before when I was dawdling on the internet I did notice that the seminary closed in the afternoon due to snow, but I didn’t think that much of it, since the seminary is not afraid to close up even for a little bit of snow. Our flight being cancelled led me to believe that there is indeed a lot of snow over there. Undeterred, we got into the car and headed to the airport and, sure enough, when we arrived, there was a long line stretching out at the desk.

Unlike how it would have been if we were in America, most people in the line were relatively calm and patient. There were rumors of what was going on and a couple of people trying to work the system, but almost everyone was well-behaved. When we got up to the desk, it turned out that Noah and I were booked on a return flight for Sunday, whereas Tony was booked on a flight for Tuesday. Knowing that Tony wouldn’t be comfortable in staying behind, I volunteered to change spots with him, as I don’t necessarily have to be back for anything in particular until later on in the week. So, we are working on trying to switch our two tickets.

Continental, our air carrier, has been very gracious with this whole ordeal and has put basically the entire plane up in the Holiday Inn across the street from the airport and are covering our meals. Which is why I am in a hotel room in Glasgow watching rugby. Other than being extremely boring, all is ok. Noah is like a little child; opening up my mini bar and moving things around just to make them charge me for its contents.

I’ve finished my pastoral care book review, have worked on a painting that I started earlier in the week (it is not so successful), and am delaying the inevitable – working on translating my Greek homework. I have considered trying to translate all of the passages for the coming few weeks because I have so much time at my hands (and have a program on my computer that can do the text), but think I’m lacking the drive to do it, despite help it will give me in the coming weeks. Maybe I’ll set a deadline and say to myself, “Just translate for the next hour and a half and see how much you can do…”

After dinner, Tony, Noah and I are going to get together and buy one of the exorbitantly-priced pay-per-view movies here at the hotel, likely the Queen.

Update:
Stuck in Glasgow until early Tuesday AM.

- Jenny, 3/18/2007 04:58:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com