The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Saturday, March 31, 2007

I feel like I've made good progress on my exegesis paper. I didn't start writing until just after 2 p.m. today and now, at around 6:30 p.m., I have just over 1,200 words, which is about half the paper (if I shoot for the lower 2,400-word amount). I feel like I'm at a bit of an impasse, although perhaps going out to get Indian food with Emily and Joanne for dinner will help stimulate my mind. On second thought, maybe it's not that I'm at an impasse...it's more that I'm at a place where I'm making my own stance on the interpretation of the text (which is fairly different from the traditional interpretation) and so maybe I don't feel bold enough just yet to make the claim.

Yesterday when I was looking around on Flickr (you know, procrastinating), I found this picture (how can something so bad look so beautiful?) somehow through the Guess Where LA group page (but now I can't quite figure out how I ended up there). I noticed that the picture was not only taken from Burbank, but was also taken that very day! Now, I've been teased by some Princeton people about the seasons in Southern California (we have three seasons: summer, fire, and rain) but March is not our traditional fire season (that would be September/October-ish). So I immediately went to the LA Times to see what was going on. Apparently it's been so dry back home this winter that there's a brush fire happening very close to my home (although, as with all fires, not at all a danger to my particular home). My favorite quote from that article is "The fire caused no injuries or damage to structures, but the smoke cast a wide shadow over portions of the San Fernando Valley. It also snarled traffic and forced some businesses to shut off their air conditioning." Oh no! Some businesses had to shut off their air conditioning? Tragic.

Last night/early this morning I had a nightmare that got so bad that I woke myself up. I dreamt that I couldn't graduate this semester. This is probably my greatest fear right now. That I won't graduate and will have to repeat this semester again. So I think in my dream I failed all of my classes and it was horrible because my whole family had arranged for their plane tickets out here and they wouldn't let me walk and stuff. But somehow that got cleared up because then I was allowed to graduate but then I didn't have enough tickets for my family to attend my graduation ceremony (which, at this point, is a real problem as I only have 6-ish tickets and about 9-ish people coming). It was horrible.

Well, I just got back from dinner with Emily and Joanne. The Indian food we had was very tasty, but there was this one green curry dish (can't remember the name) that Joanne ordered that reminded me of a soft sweater. It was good (not great), but it most definitely was reminiscent of a soft sweater. So I told Joanne and Emily as much and there was a little bit of silence. I think at that moment we all may have been thinking about how incredibly weird I am sometimes. This was reinforced by Emily bringing up the fact that I also think Earl Grey tea tastes like elephants. (This is precisely why I cannot drink Earl Grey tea and can't understand why anyone would.) I would like to say that I have never eaten a soft sweater or an elephant, but I don't think it is too much of a leap to say that some types of food taste like these things. Anyway, being the good friends they are, they didn't leave me hanging. Joanne tried the curry again and said, "Um...I think I can see how it might taste like a fleece," to which I replied that, no, it tasted more like an angora or mohair sweater. Emily immediately countered and said, "No, if anything, it tastes like cotton."

Anyway, I suppose I should start again on the paper and see if I can make more progress in the few hours I have left before going to bed. I've had a nice, long break which hopefully will help spur me on in completing the paper. It'd be awesome if I could finish it tonight, but likely I'll only get 2/3 done to 3/4 done and then finish it up tomorrow after church.

The end of the semester is both not soon enough and way too soon.

- Jenny, 3/31/2007 02:24:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com