The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Well, I didn't get as much work done last night as I had hoped, which made it difficult for me to go to bed last night because I was a little stressed out with being behind, which made it extremely difficult to get up for my 8:00 a.m. precept this morning.

Last night I wanted to finish my last two exegesis questions that I had to write so that I could devote today to writing my sermon outline (finishing the test). The problem was that I had a lot of class in the afternoons yesterday, which is really a time in which I work best. So the fact that one of the questions ended up being harder than I expected it to be compiled with the fact that I started after dinner ended up meaning that I didn't quite finish the second question (although I estimate that it's 2/3 done). After I return from working around 2, I'll finish that one up and work on the outline and just trust that I can finish it all before 9:00 a.m. tomorrow (and can manage to take it to the proctor in time). Which, all things considered, really shouldn't be a big deal, but feels like a big deal just because this test is kinda like a weight around my neck, pulling me down to the ocean as I gasp for air. Sometimes I like to concoct these ridiculous images just to show myself how ridiculous and small stuff like this actually is in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway - I am looking forward to tomorrow. I have one class in the morning, one interview with a church in the afternoon and THEN I hope to go to New York City to go to a book reading. Now, I've never gone to a book reading before. Sometimes they actually make me roll my eyes. But there's this guy who writes these introspective watercolor books that I love to read. His watercolor style has so much energy, even (especially!) when he draws the mundane. I find that inspiring. I also find his story to be inspiring. He is some big advertising creative guy whose life was just-so until his wife fell onto the subway tracks and ended up being paralyzed. So he (and, of course, she) had to re-order their whole lives of how to live in New York, how to make it up to their apartment, how to raise their infant, etc. He reflects on all of this in his watercolor journal called Everyday Matters: A New York Diary. In the book he talks about how what really saved him in dealing with the enormity of this life change was learning how to draw and taking time within each day to really consider a subject, slow down and appreciate the ordinary and everyday stuff that we so easily ignore as we move onto bigger and better things. So, I am really interested to go and hear him read from his book. But the thing is (there's always a thing) that tomorrow night it's supposed to be about 25-30F and snowing. So I may chicken out. But then again, I may not.

But this thought about the book reading got me thinking. I've been blogging on this thing since December 2002, obviously posting "serious" content for four-plus years. By now I surely have amassed enough material to compose a book. Or, maybe material is a poor choice of a word, as it connotes that there is content worth reading that all fits within a theme. Not sure I can claim that, but surely I have amassed enough words to compose a book. I just couldn't imagine myself doing a reading from my "book." I really don't think I could keep a straight face because I would feel so silly. Especially if I were to read,
"Entry: Tuesday, October 18, 2005. Today I'd like to talk about toothbrushes...I prefer a compact-head, medium-firm toothbrush. In general, I like either the Colgate or Oral-B brands, although, I will take any compact-head, medium-firm toothbrush, except those made by Target. Target's toothbrushes are an anathema. There you have it. You now know some very particular details about me...."
That toothbrush entry was extremely "meaningful" to someone, who was evidentally moved to send me an entire box of toothbrushes. I consider that package of toothbrushes one of the ultimate highlights in the history of my collecting mail. It still is an absolute mystery who sent me that box of toothbrushes.

But if you still read my blog, Mystery Toothbrush Sender, thank you.

- Jenny, 1/31/2007 06:59:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com