The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Thursday, September 07, 2006

Last night I went with Lisa to dinner at Don Cuco's, one of my most favorite Mexican restaurants because they serve salsa AND sour cream with their chips. Anyone who knows me knows that I love sour cream. She gave me the coolest gift ever - it's this travel alarm clock named Bob that, in the interest of being formal, I will affectionately call Robert. Robert woke me up this morning with a cheerful beep and a flashing magenta color.

I always seem to spot people at Don Cuco's. Ok, not always, but it's happened before. Like once I saw Angelina Jolie there with some lady (pre-Brad, just pre- post-Billy Bob). Anyway. Last night this guy came in with these other two people and he looked at me like he recognized me (as their party was sat at a table across from us), but upon glance, I did not recognize him. I am great with names, horrible with faces. But the way he looked at me made me suspious, so I kept stealing glances at him throughout dinner. At the end of dinner it hit me. It was not someone famous, but someone infamous from my past! It was this guy who was once the youth director at my church who created some scandal and told me during communion that (basically) I was a horrible person. What a way to celebrate the Lord's Supper.

Anyway, Gallup, NM says hi. Well, it hasn't officially said hi, but I bet it would.

We've arrived here after driving about 10 hours today. We saw a lot of this and this and even some of this while we were listening to The Devil Wears Prada.* Incidentally, I was not too impressed with The Devil Wears Prada (most of it was this girl explaining what everyone was wearing...boring). Maybe the movie would cut down on that - I'm not sure. But, it was nice to have something to listen to and it was fairly easy to listen to (one of my fears is that I would space out, since I quite easily space out). On the drive to Gallup, it started raining and got really cold. When we arrived here, I felt so cold that I needed to change into jeans and contemplated pulling a jacket/warmer sweater out of my larger suitcase that remains in the car.

We went to the Cracker Barrel for dinner, since there were a couple of mentions by Emily and Tisra had just recently mentioned it and because neither my dad nor I have ever been to a Cracker Barrel. I got the turkey dinner, which I thought was good (although the turkey was a little dry) and I checked out their audiobooks collection, but there was nothing really interesting. Maybe if we see another Cracker Barrel, we'll stop to see if they have a better selection. But I will say this - I don't know if this is usual, but this Cracker Barrel was already selling Christmas paraphernalia.

--------
* As an aside, I don't mind at all the conversation in the comments about the ethics of audiobooks. However, I would like to make clear the following things:

a.) Sometime last year I made the decision that I will no longer download music illegally. So whereas I have not erased all of the music I obtained illegally at one time (that would be a difficult task to sort through), I no longer do download illegally. Except those songs I downloaded from Chris' MySpace last week because it didn't occur to me until just now that it was illegal.

b.) Should I have borrowed the audiobook CDs from the BPL, I would have ripped them to iTunes, burned them to CD and then listened to them once. I probably wouldn't have deleted them from iTunes (probably only because I wouldn't have thought about it), but I wouldn't have listened to them again because I very, very, very rarely read (or "read") books twice. Anyway, why I thought of borrowing them from the BPL is because the PPL (aka Princeton Public Library) has audiobooks you can borrow online - by downloading them to your computer and listening to them on your audio device. I would have done this (since I am also a PPL member) BUT their scheme is incompatible with Macintosh computers. So, this is what got me started thinking that it wouldn't be so wrong to download them to my computer to listen during the drive.

But my question to you, my loyal readers, is it unethical to buy a book, read it, and then give it to another person to read?

- Jenny, 9/07/2006 07:50:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com