The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Sunday, September 10, 2006

The drive today was quite pleasant. It was considerably shorter than our drives from the previous days...it took us only 6 or so hours instead of our normal 10. So, I was able to sleep in until the glorious hour of 7 a.m., which I needed (could have used a bit more) because I was so tired from not being able to sleep the night before. We drove through the rest of Tennessee, where my dad was trying to convince me that there were 14 original colonies with Tennessee being in the original 14. Totally wrong. I don't understand why my dad makes things up sometime...in this instance, I think it was just to rile me up because he knew it irritated me that he was insisting on an untruth.

Anyway, I took over driving once we got into Virginia (I think mostly because my dad wanted to ensure we'd stop by the NASCAR racetrack at Bristol) and I really enjoyed it. Probably moreso than any other state this trip. I would even go as far to say that the Virginian countryside is charming. There are a lot of sprawling hills dotted with little communities with old houses with cows or horses scattered around. I would show you pictures of it, but I was driving and dad was reading about sports on his cell phone (he was not as impressed with its beauty as I was).

We arrived in Christiansburg (located next to Muslimsville*), where we are staying, in the late afternoon. After resting a little bit, we contacted Shane and Jessica and they came to meet up with us and took us on a tour of their quaint little college town. Shane is a new professor at Virginia Tech (which actually is a huge school that encompasses many more disciplines other than mathematics and science). Despite their hideous color scheme of maroon and orange and a hokey-named turkey mascot called a "hokie", it is a beautiful campus. Shane and Jessica showed us the place that they are renting, and it is SO nice for a very good price. $1,000/month gets them a three-level house (apartment? condo?) with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms and a new fridge, dishwasher, etc. All in all, it was a really fun night, and I'm glad that we were able to visit with them on our trip up to New Jersey. I only hope that they'll venture up north to their Mid-Atlantic state buddy, New Jersey and visit me sometime this year.

Tomorrow is the last leg of the trip. It should take us about 6-7 hours to get from here to Princeton. Actually, I think we'll probably only go to Philadelphia so that it'll be easier for me to drop my dad off at the airport on Tuesday morning. The end is in sight!!

* Ok, not really, but wouldn't it be funny if that was true?

- Jenny, 9/10/2006 07:37:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com