The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I have been dragging this week. I simply feel exhausted all the time. Yesterday after coming home from the hospital, I took a 45 minute nap and could have slept for much longer. Am feeling more awake today, but really need to work on making sure I have an easy evening where I can go to sleep at an earlier hour.

It's a rather complicated story (complete with suspected transvestite!), but yesterday I ended my visits with this one patient who was in for a stabbing. I confused him with another patient who had been dischaged earlier (and was in the very same room) and the current patient's mother jumped up and immeditely called the police because she thought that the patient in the room before him MUST be the same one who stabbed her son. That was a fairly traumatic experience for me and I felt like I did all sorts of wrong (even though I am assured that it was just a mistake and I technically didn't do anything wrong).

Well, today I feel better about it because a Code Grey (abusive/assaultive behavior) was called and it was in that same room with that same mother, who had a problem with a person who was visiting. So I'm thinking maybe she's just a little tense and overreactive right now. I have to admit that I was glad that she wasn't there when I was visiting the patient later on in the day.

Today was a tough day at the hospital in that I saw a number of very tragic trauma patients who are now in the ICU, almost all young and almost all without hope. Almost all of them are also from motor vehicle accidents that were literally accidents. Seeing these patients and what can go wrong in normal cirumstances is tough sometimes...it's tough not to think of your own life and become paralyzed with fear. There was a small part of me today that never wanted to leave the hospital because you never know what will happen once you step foot in a car. But no one can live life that way, so I note to myself, "Don't speed and let people pass you," and then move on with my day. Today made me think that instead of requiring Traffic School, the DMV should just have people work in a hospital for a little bit.

- Jenny, 7/12/2006 06:33:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com