The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ode to Scarlet Lake

The remainder of PC 923 Scarlet Lake
What you see above is the remainder of my favorite colored pencil, PC 923 Scarlet Lake. I actually hate using colored pencils to draw, so when I was home this summer and needed to underline something in a book I was reading, I thought to myself, "Hey! I can use my Berol Prismacolors to underline it because I hate using them for drawing so I can use them up in this fashion!" They have really soft lead, so it turns out that they are consumed very easily. However, I discovered that I love using them to underline in books, so I brought a bunch back with me to school for this use. Further, I've discovered that Scarlet Lake is my favorite one to use, which is why it is now too small for use since it is but a nub of 2". My next favorite color to underline with is plain old PC 918 Orange, which is about twice the size of Scarlet Lake and is rapidly being consumed now that Scarlet Lake has been decommissioned.

I have other colors - PC 1032 Pumpkin Orange is ok, PC 1039 Neon Green is too bright and the lead is too hard, PC 956 Lilac is too wishy-washy, PC 902 Ultramarine is too dark and generally oppressive. I'll use them when in a pinch, but they're not really the caliber of Scarlet Lake or Orange. I suppose it's best if we appreciate the things we have while we still have them, which is why I've been spending a lot of time lately with PC 918 Orange. Orange's life is slowly coming to an end, but its work and efforts have been noble, and I think that even when it departs I will remember its contribution to my academic (if not spiritual) life.

- Jenny, 2/07/2006 02:18:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com