The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Monday, October 11, 2004

I don't think I can precisely explain how much I am enjoying the weather here. For the past two or maybe even three weeks, it has been beautiful. Bright blue skies, big puffy clouds, the leaves are starting to turn bright colors but most of all, there is this breeze that blows through the trees. I think this is probably the most beautiful sound I have heard in a long, long time. When I am in my room studying, I can't help but hear this breeze coming in and it never ceases to rouse me from my studies to contemplate just how beautiful it sounds. Even now I hear it and I love it so much.

This is not to say that it isn't cold out here--it is getting cold. However, it doesn't really seem to make sense to me that it will snow here. It's hard for me to imagine that will actually happen, I think because it's just so beautiful here right now.

Hearing Desmond Tutu preach on Sunday was cool. It was at an Anglican or Episcopalian church (I cannot remember which), so this was my first time experiencing such a service. No offense to Stephanie or the Boy (aka Jason), but I cannot see myself in that worship setting. One of the reasons is that they have, as part of their worship, this overpowering incense that gives me a headache. Although they do have these cool kites that they fly around as people walk in, which is sorta neat (although a little mystifying--Steph, do they do that at your church?). Desmond Tutu preached about how we are all unworthy of God but yet how we all have value in God's eyes. It was a good sermon--he likes to crack jokes. The two phrases that stick out the most to me from the experience are, "Your enemies are not God's enemies," and "Our God has surprisingly low standards." But I found that, although the sermon was interesting, the biggest interest for me on Sunday was comparing and contrasting an Episcopalian service to a Presbyterian service. Quite different.

I have two papers due this week (again), both due on Thursday. One for my literature class on Doubt and one for my Old Testament class on Joshua 2 & 6 (I can write either about Rahab or about Jericho and how it may not be a 'real' story...I think I'll probably write about Rahab, but we'll see--I still have to do a little bit of reading for that).

Ann, the faithful social coordinator, already has plans for this coming weekend: we're going ON A QUEST to this place called Qdoba, which I am told might be like Chipotle but is far superior to Chipotle, even though Ann has never been there. Both she and Nicole Howard have been talking this place up, so I am excited to give it a try. The nearest Qdoba is in New Brunswick, which is about half an hour away, but to quote Ann in her IM to me last night, "Let's get lost to make it more of an adventure."

OK--gonna record my second Hebrew album and then gotta get started on the Doubt paper.

- Jenny, 10/11/2004 12:40:00 PM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com