The Medieval Bestseller
I read it somewhere on the Internet...
Friday, January 16, 2004

Every morning when I look at my counter statistics, I've noticed that someone (or many people, for all I know) keeps on looking up Jenny Smith in Google. Is someone looking for me? It's kinda weirding me out.

As you all know, yesterday I had my pre-op appointment for my LASIK surgery next week. I had to take the normal eye tests, along with a quiz about a video they showed me. The coolest part of the whole thing was when they put some weird orange substance in my eye (to look at the surface of my cornea) and it turned my vision orange for a brief moment. The weirdest part was when they dialated my eyes. I've never had my eyes dialated before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I thought that I would be able to read during that time--nope. Once my eyes were fully dialated, the doctor shined a very bright light in my eye, but it did not hurt like Terrence claimed it hurt when it happened to him. After about 2.5 hours at the doctor's office, I was excused to go home (with still dialated eyes). With my glasses on, I could see distance, so driving was fine, but I still could not see any writing up close. It was fully blurry. This gradually disappeard during the course of the night, although I think my vision is still a little wacked from the whole thing.

Somehow, I made it to the Staples Center last night to meet the Crippler to see Dave Matthews and Friends. It was...an adventure driving in the dark with dialated eyes. I'm not sure that I would recommend it. Nonetheless, I arrived in one piece and was able to make it to my seat, which was smack in front of Dave in the 4th row. Shortly after I arrived, Dave went on (I arrived late, and was pleased to know that I got there before the start of Dave's set) with Tim Reynolds--their mini-set was very good. Then more people came on the stage to play various instruments (including a red-haired guy who looked like Eric Clapton to me but turned out to be the lead singer of Phish). This part of the show was ok and peppered with a lot of cover songs, which I think is very odd for a Dave show. Odd, but good--I thought the covers he did were all very good, including one on Solsbury Hill. Then they went off of the stage for a potty break and came back for the obligatory encore, but the first two songs (three?) were acoustic with only Dave and the Phish guy and I thought that was also an excellent part of the show. Then the rest of the band came on and played a couple more songs and that was it. This has moved my Dave concert rating up from 1/3 to 2/4. Last night it just seemed that Dave was having fun up on stage. I think that added tons to the experience.

Anyway, woke up this morning to see that my eyeballs are still quite dialated, which concerns me (although I can read up close, so that's good). Driving to work this morning was kinda hard because it was SO bright and all I wanted to do was close my eyes. Even now, in my area which is fairly bright, my eyes are dialated to the point they would be if I were in a dark room. Is this normal? I can't tell because I've never had it done before...hmm...I suppose I'll wait to see how they look tomorrow and if they're still saucer-sized, then I guess I'll report it.

So today (or tomorrow--I forget the actual day...I guess I'm a bad friend) is Tyler's birthday! I forget if he's 28 or 29--I think 28. So, by the age of 28, Tyler, others have accomplished these things already:

  • Jamaican reggae composer/performer Bob Marley recorded "I Shot the Sheriff."

  • The Danish physicist Niels Bohr published his revolutionary theory of the atom.

  • Dr. Ludwig Zamenhof of Warsaw invented the artificial language Esperanto.


Anyway, I have work to do, so I'll do a quick Friday Five and talk to you all later:

1. What does it say in the signature line of your emails?
I don't usually use my signature line, and if I do, I use it in emails to work contacts who may not know who I am or my contact information. It lists my name, company, title and phone (I think).

2. Did you have a senior quote in your high school yearbook? What was it? If you haven't graduated yet, what would you like your quote to be?
I did have a senior quote in high school. I think it was something like, "The absence of speech is the attendance of thought."

3. If you had vanity plates on your car, what would they read? If you already have them, what do they say?
Every once in awhile when I drive around I think to myself what they would be, and I honestly have no clue what I would put. I wouldn't just put "Jenny"--that's too Barbie-ish. I just don't know what I can say in only 7 letters/numbers/symbols.

4. Have you received any gifts with messages engraved upon them? What did the inscription say?
I don't think I've received any gifts that have any message engraved upon them. When I bought my senior class ring in high school (waste of money--should have listened to my dad), it had my name engraved in it.

5. What would you like your epitaph to be?
I have no clue. Actually, I think I may want to be cremated, so that would solve that issue, no?

- Jenny, 1/16/2004 09:47:00 AM

Blogs I Read Manually
Blogs I Read Via RSS
End of an era?
Contact Me
Archives
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com